Dec 9, 2009

Learning the basics

Have I had a busy couple of days! I'm finding that work gets in the way of real life at the moment. I'm sure most people feel like that most of the time.

I guess for me it's because I've got this burning desire to learn how to use Adobe products, namely Illustrator. I have this fire inside me to do something creative. I always have. But at the same time I also have a need to be very precise and calculated. My favourite subjects in school were maths and english. What kind of freak was I? Nobody likes BOTH as you're usually a lefty or righty (and I'm not talking hands here). I think that's why I've struggled to find something I truly love doing.

I have a passion for science which is the path I've taken (sort of) and yet the creative arts pull at my heart strings and to be honest I think that is where I will find my ultimate nirvana but I haven't taken the leap yet. I've always dipped my toes into both ponds and I keep flipping backwards and forwards as if I'm waiting for something to just drag me under.

As a child I performed in school choirs (I've even performed in the Opera House twice with choirs!), elected to do the art and computer animation classes, did ballet, tap and jazz and a whole swag of other creative stuff. I used to bake a lot and do a lot of scrapbook/stamping. As an adult I further indulged that creative streak by taking a makeup course which I pursued, and worked for a top tier cosmetics company as a makeup artist/sales consultant.

So why am I in the job I'm in now? Well quite frankly because it pays well and I'm good at it. And it's somewhat reated to what I studied at uni. I would love to say I could live on air and love but that would be a complete load of horse manure. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy it and it has it's challenges but ultimately I don't know that it completes me. But I have to get money from somewhere to do all the things I want to do like take design classes, photography classes, buy a dslr, buy craft products to make things etc etc etc. And to buy my bags and shoes of course!!!

Anyway, I had my first attempt at Illustrator with the guidance of an online tutorial and little bit of help from M.

This was what I was supposed to replicate:

Isn't he hilarious??? I didn't really want to have a stoned panda so I kinda did my own thing with the face.


Whaddya think? I think he's pretty damn cute! And I have plans for him which I'll let you in on a little later when it becomes more tangible.

On that note, I'll leave you to have sweet dreams! Night!!

10 comments:

Roxy said...

Your panda is so cute! I love it!:)

I think it's possible to be both left and right. I loved all the Science courses as well as English, Spanish and History back when I was in school (Grade School, HS, and even in Uni). I planned to be a Chemistry Major but then my older sister was already one so I decided to take Communication Arts Majoring in Film once I hit uni. I just thought having two Chemists in the family might be weird and I had to balance it out. Haha!

If your heart and passion is in the arts, I say go for it! But of course, sometimes passion alone cannot fund our handbag/shoe addiction so yes, we still have to manage to stick to the jobs that pay well. But who knows, in the future - you may find something that can fulfill you passion and fill up that bank account!

lilmissb said...

Thanks! :)

Yeah, I'm hoping that by the time I have kids (or if I don't in about 5 years time) I'll be ready for a seachange and that by then I'll have hopefully built something up to fall back on.

You never know!

Roxy said...

Btw, here's a link to some photos I took of the Maggies as soon as they came in today:)


http://alturl.com/j2r3

lilmissb said...

HOT! Pity they didn't look good on me.

bowsnhearts said...

Hi,

Firstly, I like your version of the panda! It's more like...casually cute than the original try-hard cute? LOL.

Secondly, I like both Maths and English as well. I usually score As for those two and then the rest...well..not as good as those two...LOL.

Thirdly, yes...I select my current chosen career path because it can sustain my shopping addiction. Nothing more. LOL

lilmissb said...

Thanks bows!

YAY more people like me. I always thought I was weird as I seemed to be the only person on the planet that liked both. Until I met M and now both of you girls.

I see you have a blog too. I'll have to read it when I get home :)

Fasshionxenophile said...

Ah ha... I love those two pandas!! The facial expression are so cute!!
Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog and I also browse through your both blog and blog boutique... I like the CL heels which is more of a mary-jane style..... :) I am also looking for a pair of heels like those but in nude or white/ivory color. :)
Thanks again and I love your look w/ aviator sunglasses.

lilmissb said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blogs! I'll keep my eye for some heels like that for you :)

Purse Addict said...

LOL!! your panda is so cute!!

lilmissb said...

Thanks J! M said it's the same kinda smile I do sometimes. LOL!